Finnish sheep wool has to this point only been used as a hand knitting yarn and not for industrial weaving or knitting. Every step in our production has been engineered to transform the raw material into a long lasting and luxurious product, without giving up on our core values - sustainability, authenticity and transparency which for us means making everything in an as clean and natural way as possible in our homeland Finland.
The production of the yarn and the ready products is a process with several stages. To start we want to emphasise that the Finnish wool is highly sustainable and ethical. The ecological feature of the wool is increased by the fact that the pasturage of the sheep increases the diversity of the nature and does not cause harmful erosion. In Finland no harmful pesticides for the wool or sheep are used.
- The sheep are sheared 1-2 times per year for the wellbeing of the sheep.
- The wool is washed, without any harmful chemicals. As a result we get wool that is long fibered and strong.
- The wool is then spun into yarn that will be used to weave or knit the final product.
- The knitting can begin. Ekta Helsinki products are weaved and knitted at several factories in Finland using different weaving and knitting techniques. Our farm to wardrobe philosophy ensures that the welfare of both the sheep and the people involved are optimized, and all our processes are ethical and transparent.
- Washing the ready products, again using no chemicals.
- Steam ironing.
- Sewing of labels, either per hand or machine. We only use ecological material in our labels.
- The products are ready to be ordered and will be sent to all customers with carbon neutral shipping partners in recyclable packages. We follow a zero plastic, zero waste policy.
The journey from sheep to sweater is as short as possible. The Finnish wool is sheared, spun and knitted in Finland, within a mere 500 km radius.
A proof for our sustainable practices, Ekta Helsinki has been granted the Nordic Swan Ecolabel, one of the most demanding environmental certificates in the world. Here you can read more about the Nordic Swan Ecolabel and Ekta Helsinki (in Finnish).